We believe that health care is a basic human right. When individuals and families have access to care, quality of life improves. It is vital to maintain coverage gains and to ensure the stability of health insurance markets. Across the seven states we serve, more than 20 million people depend on Medicaid alone.
We urge policymakers to:
- Preserve and advance gains in health insurance coverage, especially for those who are poor and vulnerable, with a special emphasis on those who depend on Medicare and Medicaid, including Medicaid expansion.
- Support expansion of affordable commercial coverage.
Our patients and members are at the heart of our mission of care. They deserve a simpler, seamless experience every time they seek care, regardless of coverage or ability to pay.
We will support legislative proposals to:
- Encourage seamless, whole person care at every stage of life, including palliative care for those who are seriously ill.
- Develop strategies that allow for safe, timely discharge of hospital patients.
- Support reasonable price transparency and balance billing that will help patients while avoiding overly burdensome requirements for hospitals.
- Support more affordable pharmaceuticals and protect safety net programs such as the 340B Drug Pricing Program.
- Enable our caregivers to deliver safe,compassionate, and high-value health care by removing regulatory burdens and legislative barriers, especially for patients in rural and underserved communities.
- Address provider shortages, including through graduate medical education, allowing for top-of-license practice, and avoiding heavily prescriptive policies on the practice of medicine.
We are pursuing innovative ways to transform health care by keeping people healthy, and making our services more convenient, accessible and affordable for all.
Lawmakers can be a partner in the future of health care with policy that will:
- Continue transforming services in response to consumer need with special emphasis on digital platforms including telehealth, reducing cost of care, and flexibility to build partnerships that allow us to bring innovation to scale.
- Pave the way for new care models that are digitally enabled to put patients at the center and don’t neglect vulnerable populations.
- Support the growth of Medicare Advantage as a proven alternative payment model.
Our nation is facing a mental health crisis. More than 40 million adults have a mental health condition, and more than half go untreated. Incremental change is no longer enough, so we are creating new models and responses now.
We ask policymakers to partner with us and promote legislative solutions that will:
- Integrate and improve access to mental health and substance use care with a focus on multi-disciplinary, community-based solutions.
- Encourage behavioral health alternative payment models that support multi-disciplinary care.
- Respond to the growing opioid crisis with more access to services for those suffering from addiction.
- Support the priorities of Well Being Trust, a foundation dedicated to advancing the mental, social and spiritual health of the nation.
As a mission-driven family of not-for-profit organizations, we care deeply about the health and well-being of our communities.
Together with our community partners, we are working to:
- Seek justice for those most vulnerable among us, especially victims of human trafficking and immigrants.
- Ensure reasonable and flexible charity care and community benefit policies to enable investments that respond to the unique needs of communities, including social determinants of health.
- Support policies that improve social determinants of health with a special focus on access to affordable housing, environmental stewardship and gun safety.