Experience Best in the West Nursing
Providence St. Joseph Health nurses play a critical role in creating healthier communities. As primary advocates for the vulnerable in all their communities, our nurses are critical to our mission, and all that Providence St. Joseph Health stands for. We are committed to consistently supporting our nursing staff, both professionally and personally.
Providence St. Joseph Health Nursing Institute
At Providence St. Joseph Health, we place a consistent focus on nursing excellence across our organization. Ultimately, the Nursing Institute strives to validate we are Best in the West, for both nursing care delivery and nursing careers support.
The Institute has six major focus areas that, taken together, are the primary vehicle through which Best in the West is achieved and maintained.
- The Clinical Academy - We know that in order to attract, inspire and retain the best nurses, we must support them to flourish. The Clinical Academy does so by ensuring that, regardless of role or position, each nurse has access to professional development support and options for career expansion. We provide a wide range of options for Nurse Residents (recently graduated), and Nurse Fellows (new to specialty) to grow their skills and advance their professional career. Learn more about the Clinical Academy »
- Clinical Quality and Practice - Our highest priority is assuring our patients receive evidence-based nursing care that is second to none; in quality, safety and patient experience. We achieve this together, through evidence-based methods: clinical standardization, expert-to-expert collaboration, and dissemination and implementation of best practices.
- Research and Innovation - We develop, implement, and support collaboration that nurture research, innovation, and clinical scholarships in nursing across Providence St. Joseph Health. Through the PSJH Clinical Scholarship Framework, the conduct of research and evidence review, we support advancing practice at all levels. This includes development programs for nurses interested in advancing their research expertise and skills.
- Magnet® and Pathway to Excellence® Designation - In order to verify our nursing cultures are positive, collaborative and nurturing; and our nursing quality is superior, we expect every eligible ministry or facility to pursue and retain the highest external nursing excellence designation. We support and accelerate this process through collaborating to make sure our nursing practice is autonomous, accountable, to the top of professional licensure, satisfying and challenging.
- Leadership and Professional Development programs - We ensure our nurses are well-equipped with tools for strong leadership. Our professional development programs strengthen the nursing core to prepare tomorrow’s nurses to lead our care delivery and influence positive change in our industry.
- Academic Partnerships - Partnerships with academic institutions allow Providence St. Joseph Health to help build a robust and permanent nurse workforce. We partner with academic organizations that uphold our professional standards, and fit with our mission and values.
Highlighting extraordinary nursing clinical practice and quality across the PSJH enterprise
In October 2019, the annual ANCC Magnet Conference will be held in Orlando, Florida. More than...
Interview with Kelly McKittrick, MSN, CNM, ARNP from Swedish Issaquah