In an effort to reduce variation and improve patient care the decision was made to move to one instance of EPIC across Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH). Currently within PSJH there are three versions of EPIC (legacy Providence, Swedish, and Kadlec). By moving to one EPIC build we are hoping to achieve a better future state with a single build, configuration, infrastructure, support model, and data set. This will support all caregivers in the delivery of evidence-based care to our patients and improved workflows.
How will we get to one instance of EPIC?
There are three terms to become familiar with to support the work of moving to one instance.
- Upgrade: Epic version 2018, the latest and greatest, components to be built into the existing Providence instance.
- Instance Migration: Standard components of EPIC build that meet the legal, regulatory, and clinical needs of our ministries.
- Collaborative Integration: Areas identified as at risk for an adverse impact to clinical or financial performance from the Swedish and Kadlec instances.
The goal is to take approximately 80% of legacy Providence EPIC instance and 20% from Swedish and Kadlec. There have been multiple enterprise-wide workgroups evaluating the different instances to find best practices to incorporate those into the integrated Providence build of EPIC.
When is this all going to happen?
- Upgrade and Collaborative build will go live at legacy Providence sites in April 6, 2019
- Swedish migration go live will be in June 15, 2019
- Kadlec migration go live will be in August 17, 2019
- Legacy St Joseph will migrate to EPIC in several waves in 2020 and 2021
Have more questions, reach out to your ministry informatics specialist or nursing leader.