Here is a summary of product updates, shortages, and conversions impacting PSJH from August 2018- October 2018. Not all product updates impact every ministry or region. This list may not be comprehensive.
Iodine Shortage in Bard Cath Kits
- A market-wide shortage of povidone-iodine pre-saturated swabsticks and povidone-iodine fluid pouches will result in a temporary change in the manufacturing of catheter kits distributed by Bard.
- In the impacted Foley catheter kits, the povidone-iodine fluid pouch will be replaced with a pack of three povidone-iodine pre-saturated swabsticks. Bard will be adding a label to all impacted kits.
- The impacted intermittent catheter kits and Touchless Plus intermittent catheter systems will be manufactured without the povidone-iodine pre-saturated swabsticks. Bard will be adding a label to all impacted kits. Please use 3 packets of the individual povidone-iodine pre-saturated swabsticks in place of the pre-saturated kits that would normally be found in the kits.
Traditional Wound Care Products
- An opportunity was presented to move all of PSJH to a single source manufacturer in the traditional wound care category. This includes, but is not limited to:
Bandage br />
- Non-adherent dressings
- Impregnated gauze
- Adhesive bandages
- After evaluation with key stakeholders in each of the regions a decision was made to move to the Medline product. A PSJH formulary was established.
Exam Gloves- St. Joseph Health Only
- Alignment to ProvSource exam glove contract for St. Joseph Health.
- The enterprise exam glove ProvSource agreement is with Medline.
- Conversion goal for St. Joseph Health to Medline gloves was scheduled to occur in August 2018.
Discontinued Central Venous Catheter (CVC) Kits
- Teleflex/Arrow International, our contracted supplier CVC kits informed us that they will be discontinuing the production of 32 kits.
- The kits are being discontinued because they do not meet the CDC maximum barrier recommendations, sharp safety requirements, are not pressure rated, and have unprotected catheters.
- Impacted ministries have been converted to improved safety kits as needed.
BD Prefilled Syringe Disruption
- BD informed PSJH there would be a product disruption at one of the plants that manufacturers prefilled syringes.
- Due to this product disruption PSJH will need to switch to flush products manufactured at alternate BD facilities.
- PSJH needs to move from the affected syringes to the new PosiFlush syringes to avoid product disruption.
- The new BD flush products serve the same function and have the identical indication for use. BD PosiFlush syringes significantly reduce syringe reflux, which can also help minimize catheter related complications.
Incontinence Product Conversion
- An opportunity was presented to move all of PSJH to a single source manufacturer for incontinence products.
- After evaluation of products with key stakeholders in each of the regions a decision was made to move to the Medline products. A formulary was established.
- This product category will be changing to Medline in October and November depending on region.
- Products in this category includes briefs, liners, underpads, underwear, and wipes.
Allevyn Gentle Dressing Discontinuation- Providence Health Services Only
- PSJH received documentation from Smith & Nephew that the current version of ALLEVYN Gentle is being discontinued, and a newer version of ALLEVYN Gentle will be available in January 2019.
- Due to this product disruption PHS will need to utilize the recommended sub during this time of transition.
- The recommend alternative during this disruption is the Allevy Life Non- Bordered dressing.