Our 2019-2020 Advocacy Agenda
Together we can create health for a better world
Providence St. Joseph Health is a leading advocate for important health and social programs that contribute to the health of our communities. Embedded in our mission is a call to serve those who are poor and vulnerable, and to be steadfast on their behalf.
Inspired by our belief that health is a human right, our family of organizations is ready to partner with lawmakers on policies that will improve the health and well-being of those we serve.
Download a copy of our 2019-2020 agenda >
Read a blog post by Ali Santore about our agenda >
Learn more about our priorities:
- Sustain Medicaid and Medicare coverage: Preserve gains in health insurance coverage, especially for those who depend on Medicaid and Medicare. Support the growth of Medicare Advantage.
- Expand commercial coverage: Support expansion of affordable commercial coverage and stabilization of state health insurance markets.
- Enable whole person care: Expand seamless health care across all services, with a special emphasis on palliative and end-of-life care.
- Create price transparency: Support reasonable policy to help health care consumers understand their costs.
- Reduce medication costs: Help lower the cost of prescriptions and increase visibility into pricing. Protect the 340B Drug Pricing Program.
- Fill provider gaps: Address provider shortages, especially in rural and underserved communities.
- Reduce cost, help patients: Pave the way for innovative care models, including telehealth, to reduce cost and increase flexibility in the best interests of patients.
- Adopt the best care models: Promote the creation and adoption of value‐based payment models. Support them by reducing administrative burden and increasing integration between payers and providers.
- Place support in the community: Increase appropriate access to mental health and substance use care with focused, community-based solutions.
- Give hope to the suffering: Respond to the growing opioid crisis and reduce suffering from addiction.
- Preserve tailored community benefit: Ensure reasonable charity care and community benefit policies to respond to the unique needs of communities.
- Go upstream to improve health: Increase focus on social determinants of health, including expanding access to affordable, stable housing and to education.
- Be a voice for the vulnerable: Seek justice for those most vulnerable among us, especially immigrants and victims of human trafficking.
- Care for the earth: Support policies that improve stewardship of our environment.
- Advance global health: Promote and strengthen international development to improve health outcomes.
- Improve public health: Support common-sense gun safety measures to reduce injuries and deaths.
- Encourage charitable giving: Create incentives for those who want to support nonprofit health care.